Who doesn’t love a Tom Swifty (we say heartily)? See how nicely the adverb connects to the words in the quotation?
- “Who’s your favorite operatic tenor?” Tom asked placidly.
- “I’m still looking for my beagle,” Tom said doggedly.
- “I’ve removed all the feathers from this chicken,” said Tom pluckily.
- “Give me some more macaroni and cheese, and I’ll tell you,” Tom said craftily.
- “I need a drink,” Tom said drily.
- It’s the maid’s night off,” Tom said helplessly.
- “There it is again!” Tom recited.
- “This is a sick bird,” said Tom illegally.
- “I enjoy exploring tombs,” Tom said cryptically.
- “I brought the dessert,” Tom said piously.
- “I forgot what to buy,” Tom said listlessly.
- “My stereo’s half-fixed,” Tom said monotonously.
- “We must go to the back of the ship,” Tom said sternly.
- “What are these berries?” Tom rasped.
- “This is just like a fairy tale,” Tom said grimly.
Every so often I indulge in wordplay. Subscribe to this blog and check out our Facebook page to get an occasional dose!