Next week is Saint Patrick’s Day. Rather than mock the holiday that has been eclipsing my birthday (March 16th) for my entire life I decided to ponder all the wonderful things that Ireland has produced. Here’s my list:
- Wheaton Terriers (one of my favorite dogs ever was half Wheaton Terrier)
- Shepherd’s Pie– What’s not to like? Savory ground meat and vegetables topped with mashed potatoes! Click here for Alton Brown’s recipe.
- Guiness Beer– Extra stout beer that has no peer!
- Cillian Murphy– Nobody else looks like this actor. The palest of blue eyes, dark, dark hair, and a perm smirk have helped typecast Cillian as a villain! Hey, it’s a paycheck!
- Chris O’Dowd– Ahhhh He seems like a darn nice guy. Remember him from “Bridesmaids”? No wonder Kristen Wiig fell for him!
- Redheads-Some of my best friends are red heads! Really!
- Lucky Charms– When I was a kid, this were my favorite cereal but my mother would never buy it for me. Too much sugar.
- Finn McCool– Finn McCool is one of Ireland’s favorite folk heroes. The version illustrated by William Steig was one of my kid’s favorite books. Seems as if it is out of print!
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/38389073@N04/4269657165″>Oh my.</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/”>(license)</a>
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/39160147@N03/13973741734″>Lucky Charms</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/”>(license)</a>