Did you know that improvisation can be learned? To do improv comedy well, practice makes for a great show. The scenes aren’t rehearsed but the techniques and the concepts are. Last summer Matt Besser, Ian Roberts and Matt Walsh finally published their masterwork, “The Upright Citizens Brigade Comedy Improvisation Manual“. You can buy it at the UCB Theatre’s online store. My son gave it to me for Christmas last year. It is a genuine text book!
- There’s a couple of enemies to improv and one of them is editing. When you edit on TV it make it seem like it is not real improv. Amy Poehler
- Fail, then figure out what to do on the way down. Del Close
- The right choice is often the brave choice. Will Hines
- You can’t be controlling in improv. Matt Walsh
- To be a good improvisor, you need to be a good observer of life. Seth Morris
I hope to see several Del Close shows this year! Are you planning on going? The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre has classes in New York City and Los Angeles.