Know someone who is graduating from college this year? Not only will they be getting a nice diploma but they’ll be getting lots of advice. Here’s some pearls of wisdom I thought were particularly appropriate:
- To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you too may one day be president of the United States. George W.Bush
- Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path then by all means you should follow that. Ellen DeGeneres
- The unfortunate, yet truly exciting, thing about your life is that there is no core curriculum. The entire place is an elective. Jon Stewart
- A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that “individuality” is the key to success. Robert Orben
- Commencement speeches were invented largely in the belief that outgoing college students should never be released into the world until they have been properly sedated. Garry B. Trudeau
- There is a good reason they call these ceremonies ‘commencement exercises’. Graduation is not the end; it’s the beginning. Orrin Hatch
Thanks Bradford College for the great picture via Flickr.com!