Pun noun[puhn]- A play on words; the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to
emphasize its different meanings or the use of words that are alike (or nearly alike) in sound but different in meaning.
- I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
- I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.
- How do you make holy water? Boil the hell out of it!
- When chemists die, they barium.
- Class trip to the Coca-Cola factory: I hope there’s no pop quiz.
- Did you hear about the cross-eyed teacher who lost her job because she couldn’t control her pupils?
- What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.
At Mirth in a Box we need to write lots of product descriptions. It would be so tedious if we couldn’t insert a few puns into our copy! Send us your favorite puns!
Thanks to Yiannis_the_greek on Flickr for the picture!