Lenny Bruce (1925-1966) paved the way for modern comedians. His edgy comedy criticized religion and politics and was laced with sexual content. Convicted of obscenity in 1964, he was posthumously pardoned. Here are a few of his tamer classic quotes:
- I won’t say ours was a tough school, but we had our own coroner.
- We used to write essays like: “What I’m going to be if I grow up.”
- Miami Beach is where neon goes to die.
- The role of a comedian is to make the audience laugh, at a minimum of once every fifteen seconds.
- When you’re eight years old nothing is your business.