Yogi Berra’s tenure as a Major League baseball player, manager and coach earned him a spot in the Baseball Hall of Fame, but his delightful way with the English language earned him a special spot in my heart. A Malapropism is humorous misuse of a word. Yogi was the master of misspeaking. Below are just a few of his spoken slip ups:
- It ain’t over till it’s over.
- The future ain’t what it used to be.
- I really didn’t say everything I said.
- It’s like déjà vu all over again.
- When you get to a fork in the road, take it.
- Our similarities are different.
- Ninety percent of this game is half mental.
- We have a good time together, even when we’re not together.
- You have to give 100 percent in the first half of the game. If that isn’t enough, in the second half, you have to give what is left.”