Last week I had the great good luck to be able to support a few young artists on the new crowdfunding website, medi.ci. According to the about us page “Medi.ci is a platform through which patrons can directly support the artists they care about through monthly donations. The idea is for people to be able to collectively support an artist’s career by giving an amount of money that to them is trivial, but that to the artist — when summed up — makes a big difference” (I cut and pasted that directly from the Medi.ci website). I’ve always been a fan of websites such as Kickstarter and IndieGoGo but have lost touch with the artists after their projects were finished. I like the idea of monthly patronage and the ability to follow an artist’s progress.
- Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. Pablo Picasso
- The role of the artist is to ask questions, not answer them. Chekov
- Artists exist to show us the world. So do windows. Jarod Kintz
- To be an artist is to believe in life. Henry Moore
- An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision. James McNeill Whistler